Delano Catalyst Site
The City of Wichita wants to develop the vacant land in Delano near the new Advanced Learning Center library and the River Vista apartments. This is the first time the city has openly sought neighborhood feedback about the sale of vacant infill land.
On 10/6/2016, The City issued the following press release:
Public Open House, Delano Site Finalists
Scot Rigby, Assistant City Manager and Development Services Director | (316) 268-4351
The City of Wichita is encouraging residents to attend an upcoming open house to provide feedback on proposed development projects for the Delano Catalyst Site located downtown along the Arkansas River. The open is house is scheduled from 6-7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 19 at the Central Library, 223 S. Main.
An evaluation committee selected two development groups that best fulfilled requirements listed in a Request for Qualifications (RFQ); the two groups - EPC Real Estate Group and Delano Partners, LLC - will present their proposed developments for the Delano Catalyst Site. During the open house, residents are encouraged to provide feedback on a comment card.
The Delano Catalyst Site, part of downtown revitalization efforts, is situated in an active river corridor. There are two substantial projects under construction near the site: the City’s $33 million Advanced Learning Center and the $38 million River Vista Apartment project.
The Request for Qualifications (RFQ) document online at http://wichita.gov/Government/Departments/Economic/RFQ/Pages/Delano.aspx lists the City's development objectives for the property:
- Mixed-use development with ground floor retail and restaurant space
- Architecture that is aesthetically and functionally compatible with surrounding development
- Building façade at the property lines, with any setback limited to outdoor dining or public plaza
- No fewer than two stories with building forms that reinforce view corridors to the river
- Predominately ground floor transparent glazing with a horizontal façade break from upper floors
- Primarily utilize on-street parking with no on-site parking located next to a street or public space
- Incorporate a public greenway as a “green street” with multi-modal bike/pedestrian connection to the former railroad corridor
- Feature an attractive public plaza or other open space available for public gathering and events
- Coordinate with the development of the Advanced Learning Library and River Vista
- Business terms that provide tangible public benefits
Proposals must explain how they are consistent with “Project Downtown: The Master Plan for Wichita.”
- Detail how the proposal is consistent with the Development Objectives described above.
- Clearly detail and define the project including:
- Gross square footage of project and each proposed use.
- Number of parking spaces and location.
- Building height (feet and stories).
- Detailed cost estimates for individual project components.
- Provide a conceptual site plan and building elevations (color recommended).
- Identify any applicable phasing on the drawings.
- Describe the utilization of the site, and if all or only portions of the site will be incorporated.
- Describe how the project will exist in context with adjacent buildings, public amenities and other uses.
- Provide circulation plan(s) showing transit, vehicular, bicycle and pedestrian access and circulation within and around the site, for the various existing and proposed users, including incorporation of the public greenway.
The Delano Neighborhood Association encourages anyone interested in the future beautification of Delano to attend the open house. Provide comments showing how you feel none, one, or both of the proposals have met the requirements and are a place you could see yourself visiting for the next twenty or more years.